Author Topic: Hi from Ian  (Read 4480 times)

Offline Spider

Hi from Ian
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:43:23 AM »
Hi All,

I'm Ian and live in the fenland town of Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, I moved here some 7 years ago, before that I'd never heard of it!, in my last house I had a wind speed and direction indicator out of general interest, I did try and reinstall it here when we moved but the bearings had gone on the anemometer and it sounded like my Fiat Stilo on a cold day, so it was time to look for a new one.

Picked the Davis Vantage Pro 2 based simply based on the number of apparent users (safety in number and all that) and hunted for a good price as they are a considered purchase, did look at importing, but decided to buy from the UK in case of faults, luckily Prodata systems is in Ely less than 30 mins away, so bought the wired version without solar or uv sensors, after all I do still have to feed the kids.

Well that was a few years ago and my interest was recently re-fired, not sure why, maybe I got bored, anyway bought a second hand PC off ebay and this is where everything weather related lives, I know the square root of nothing about web pages (which will be fairly apparent if you dared to risk an eye and look), but, I'm keen to learn new things, (life in the old dog ...) so I'm a dabbler with this, my humble starter site is www.chatteris.biz .

Recently bought the sensors that were left off originally from the US as well as a lightning detector, so thanks to weather display, I send data all over the place and its great to see information from home available to anyone who wants to see it, I'll never be an expert here, but for me it's just for fun.

Happy forming

Ian

Edited - 19/7/13 added new web address
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:08:02 PM by Spider »

Offline Budgie

• UK Weather Net Admin
  • Administrator
    • Hebrides Weather
Re: Hi from Ian
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »
Hi Ian and welcome to the forum & network.

We all started with a little interest which has grown over time.
I started with a cheap LaCrosse station for general interest and only added the weather data to my photographic site a year or so later, when I installed Weather Display.

I slowly increased the kit to include 1-Wire lightning detector and solar sensor, a different anemometer as the original fell apart. Then, like you, I went for a VP2 and later got the solar & UV sensors from the U.S.
I now have all sorts of kit around here including Boltek lightning detector, earthquake sensor (not on my website), AIS for shipping, aircraft virtual radar...........................

So be careful if you want them kids to stay fed.  :D

As for the website, a hosted site isn't that much outlay really.
About 5 for the URL and 10 - 15 a year for the hosting.
Quite a few weather sites are hosted my eRice with GoDaddy for the URL. Then you can use the templates and a whole lot more if you want too.

There are plenty of people on here who have done the same thing so you won't be short of help if it's needed.  ;D

Martin.